- Senior Lecturer, University of Moratuwa, 1996 – to date
Teaching in the Departments of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
& Engineering both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Subjects:
Computer Systems, Digital Control, Artificial Intelligence & Expert Systems.
Fuzzy Logic, Neural Networks.
Other Academic Responsibilities:
Coordinator of Masters course in Electrical Engineering for two years. The
two year part time course has about 20 students each year.
Supervising of Masters Research Degrees in the areas of Image processing,
speech recognition, Fuzzy logic applications in Electrical Power Systems,
Information Technology Management etc.
Management of Department computer laboratory in the Dept of electrical Engineering.
- Honorary Senior Fellow, University of Melbourne, Department
of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, 2004 Mar to 2005 Dec.
(On sabbatical leave from the University of Moratuwa)
Contributions to Mechatronics Research Group:
Involvement in Mechatronics research group meetings, Bioinformatics group
meetings, Optimisation group meetings. Helping other students in the group
with their writing research papers and academic problem solving skills.
Research in the same areas.
- Head of Department of Computer Science and Engineering, July
1999 – July 2002
The Computer Science & Engineering Department is one of the most demanding
field of specializations in the University of Moratuwa. The Department
has about 200 students in its four year course and a faculty of about
12 members. In addition to the normal administrative duties of the post,
I was responsible for overseeing the undergraduate curriculum development
for the transition to new course unit system and also planning of a Master
of Business Administration Course in Information Techonology. The course
started with a first bach of about 40 MBA candidates.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of British Columbia,
Vacouver, Canada, 1995-1996
Research Area: Real-time Image Processing, Interfacing to PC, AI
- Lecturer, University of Moratuwa, 1984-1987 and 1988-1990
Teaching at undergraduate level, subjects: Theory of Electricity, Electrical
Machines, Control Systems.
Other professiional activities
- Member, Information Technology Steering Committee of Ministry
of Education, Sri Lanka. This 3-member ministerial
committee is responsible for overlooking the introduction / implementation
of Information Technology to the primary and secondary education in Sri
Lanka. 2002-to date
- Senior consultant for the Department of Electrical and Computer
Engineering in B. Tech degree course, Open University, Sri Lanka,
Responsible for design and development of course materials for distant
education in IT related subjects. 1999 to date.
- Member, Inter Ministerial Committee on IT, Ministry
of constitutional affairs and Industrial Development. 2000-02
- Consultant, Arthur C. Clark Center for Modern Technology,
Sri Lanka, 2000-01
- Member: Technical Evaluation Committee for the supply
of computers, University of Moratuwa.
- Examiner/Moderator, Institute of Engineers, Sri Lanka
for Part II examination. 2000-03
- Member of working group on IT: JICA master plan study
in Industrial Sector Development in Sri Lanka, Ministry of Industrial
- Ministry appointed member of Technical/Financial Evaluation
Committee: Ceylon Electricity Board, Ministry of Irrigation,
Power and Energy, 1997
- Consultant: Diploma in Technology course, Open University
of Sri Lanka, 1987