Hospital cleaning Program - Meegahatenna Hospital, Matugama
For a number of years (it is almost a tradition now), the most junior batch of the Engineering Faculty got an opportunity to know their immediate seniors through a social service activity. Most of the batches selected one of the hospitals in a rural area, where inadequate facilities existed. Various efforts were made to add a value to service offered by that hospital to their patients.
In this year, with the collaboration of 2000/2001 batch the 99/2000 batch was able to succeed in this event and the hospital selected was Mathugama Meegahathanna Government hospital.
After visiting the hospital for the first time and after the discussions with the management of the hospital it was decided to undertake the following activities on Saturday 29th September 2001.
All of these tasks were made possible through a strong committee selected from 99/2000 batch and the financial support extended.
- Painting the walls of the Hospital.
- Donating two trolleys.
- Repairing the broken beds, trolleys, wheel chairs, and all related items.
- Replacing the broken lamps and repairing the wiring arrangements.
- Repairing the broken water pipelines and related items.
- Donation of toothpaste, soap, etc to the patients.
- Donation of books to Hospital Library.
With the studentís effort also put in, the total contribution to the hospital can be valued at over 50,000/=).
- University of Moratuwa, VCís Fund donated Rs 25000/=,
- Electrical Engineering Society (EESoc) contributed Rs. 7000/=.
- 2000/2001 batch contributed approximately Rs. 7000/=. (Rs 20/= from each student of the batch)
The paint required for the project was given at a very low cost by
- Multilac Company Panadura
- CIC Company, Nawala.
Support for Meals and refreshment
- Breakfast - hospital staff
- Lunch - villagers of the Meegahathanna Village
- Dinner - hospital staff
- Refreshments - hospital staff
- Maintenance engineer (Mr. Leelarathna) of University of Moratuwa helped by giving the required equipment
- Welding Plant
- Paint brush and other masonries
- General administration unit (SAR: Mr. Balachandra) helped to get the vehicles to transport the students and the material to the hospital.
- Mr. Piyarathne - Maintenance Engineering Division.
- Co-ordinated activities and arranged all meals other refreshments for the students with the assistance of the villagers and hospital staff.
- Mr. Amal - Welding Mechanic
- Welded and repaired more than 40 broken pieces of equipment
- Electrician of the University.
The total participation was approximately 150 students from both the junior and senior batches.
Advisors and Academic Staff Assistance
- Prof. D. Wijesekara, Vice Chancellor
- Prof. Malik Ranasinghe, Dean - Faculty of Engineering.
- Prof. Rohan Lucas
- Dr. Niranjan Gunawardena - (Chief Student counselor)
- Dr. Jahan Peiries- (President EESoc)
- Dr. Rohan Tittagala
Students seen painting the front of the Meegahatenna General Hospital
(One was made by the Mechanical Engineering Students and donated in memory of the late mechanical engineering student of 99/2000 batch Daham Anurada)
A picture taken inside of the Hospital before the shramadhana
Getting ready for the tasks ahead
Having the breakfast of Kiribath and banana. Painting a wall inside one of the wards
Over 30 beds like this was painted within one day. One is engaged with repairing work
Repairing some of broken wheelchairs and trolleys
OPD- After painting
Ward # 3 After Cleaning
Enjoying the work towards nightfall
Handing over two trolleys to the Hospital authorities.